Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cold Snap

It is freezing out. I guess we're lucky here that we haven't gotten any snow like over by the Great Lakes, but it's still cold. I am so cheap- I keep my house thermostat at 60 degrees. Yes, you read that right. 60. I'd love to keep it higher, but I feel like that is a flat out indulgence. The new heating system is kicking in nicely, so the heaters are working, but I can't say it's particularly cozy in my house. I remember when I lived alone back in the 90's in a great garden apartment in NJ. Heat and hot water were included and I never realized what a great deal that was! I walked around in my boxers, in the dead of winter, not a care in the world! Now, I am sitting here typing in the following garments: 2 pairs of socks, long underwear, jeans, a turtleneck, a fleece pullover, a fleece jacket and a hat. I'm cozy, not my house. My kids, conversely, could go out in this weather in a t-shirt under their parkas. It's unbelievable! Every morning, I lay out their clothes- a turtleneck with a sweater, or some such combination- and they come downstairs for breakfast in something totally different. They both hate turtlenecks, sweaters are too uncomfortable, "I get hot in gym class!", "My classroom is sooo hot!" blah blah. Should I argue? Do I fight with them? Already, at age 8 and 10?? I'm expecting I'll have thong issues and low pants and ripped jeans and sk8board fashion when they're teenagers, but now?? And never mind waiting for the bus in the mornings. That can get quite uncomfortable. The wind kicks up the main road and can be brutal. I don't want to wait in my car- that seems so wimpy. So we stand out there, freezing our toochuses. But I did go for my daily walk today. With my hat and gloves, scarf and long coat, it was bearable. Stay warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment