Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's December. Yay.

I hate Christmas. There- I said it. Many people can't relate. "It's the most wonderful tiiiiime, of the year!!" Many actually enjoy shopping and decorating and cooking and baking and travelling. Not me. I hate it. I used to like it, back when I had money. I could casually go through catalogues, turning down the corners to remind myself what I would get for dad, mom, and my brother. I'd stroll through the mall and get almost anything I felt like getting. And I used to spend quite alot of money back then. Not anymore. Once you have children, the whole dynamic changes, and on top of that, when money is tight, it changes even more. I think that the worst part for me is hearing my kids start with their lists in October. "I want...I want...I want..." Is it the season of getting, or giving? I have tried to teach them about humility, and possibly lowering their expectations, but kids are so egotistical that it's quite challenging. Oh- let me correct myself- the WORST worst part is that my kids have FIVE, yes, FIVE celebrations where they receive gifts:

1. The Mykolajko (Christmas program) in Ukrainian school
2. My aunt's house where we have Christmas Eve Dinner
3. My parent's house where we celebrate the 25th
4. My house when we come back
5. Dad's house and the other grandmother's house for January 7th celebrations

Doesn't that make you want to cry?? Makes me sick. It's such overkill, but that's how it is. And the kids know how to milk it. But enough of that. Back to me. I hate doing the "Christmas Card." It is easier with the digital photo way of doing things, over the computer, but I gotta be honest, the sentiment isn't there. These last 2 years have been very difficult and emotional and I feel like a phony sending
"Warm Wishes for a Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year!" YAY!! Bleh.

How many of you moms have put up the Christmas Tree alone? Not decorated, but actually:
1. Bought it at Home Depot
2. Dragged it to the car
3. Put it on the roof or stuffed it in the trunk and hoped it didn't fall off or out
4. Dragged it in the house
5. Put it in the holder
6. Spent 2 hours on the floor under the tree trying to adjust it
Hmmm? Not my idea of fun. I'll decorate it, whatever, maybe one of the kids will help, "Get over here NOW! and help me do this! and have FUN, dammit!!" I don't even think of decorating the house inside. Outside I have a reindeer with lights and a few wreaths. I confess I love the icicle lights, but someone wasn't too thrilled to put them up back then and I sure as hell am not going on the roof anytime soon. I do like the Christmas Eve dinner with its Ukrainian traditions and customs, and a chance to spend time with family members I don't see often enough. But all that other stuff- I'd pass if it wouldn't let so many people down.

No comments:

Post a Comment