Monday, February 7, 2011

Civil Talks

The Ex and I actually had a civil conversation yesterday. There were some planning issues we needed to discuss, and surprisingly, they went well. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say, we agreed on everything. Back in the summer of '09 I wanted to talk to him about something (I was at my parent's house and the kids were with him) and when he came over to drop them off, I started talking to him and he totally flipped out on me. We had the worst fight of our "coupledom", screaming at each other, right there on my parent's lawn. I didn't cave, I held my own, but I still felt like I wanted to throw up afterwards. Ever since then, I've been so wary of having to talk to him, because I don't know if he's going to fly off the handle. That's a great way to live, considering we have kids together and will need to talk about issues regarding them for the next 10-12 years. When you never talked during a marriage, it's virtually impossible to talk comfortably during a separation/divorce. It would be nice to have a "co," a partner with whom I could talk, share, laugh, discuss, plan. It's really exhausting having to do most of this on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment