Friday, March 4, 2011

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!

I just did Ukrainian School homework with my daughter. It wasn't as bad as usual, but a pain nonetheless. I end up dictating everything word for word, letter for letter to both her and my son when it's homework time. I literally do all the work!! Everything short of holding the pencil and moving their hand for them. I remember doing my homework on my own from a very young age. PLUS- my son has to learn a 20 line poem for the Taras Shevchenko play on the 13th. He was like our Shakespeare and every year we have a production in his honor. Last year it was the day after the Championships at Harvard, so I ended up leaving from Boston Sunday morning and driving straight to Hartford for the play. That was fun. Anyway, I'm going over this poem with my son and you'd think I was torturing him. Everyone in his class has to learn something and be prepared to perform, but he acts like he's the only one. All of this is such a drag. I thought after Ukraine gained its freedom we'd be able to speak English (HA!) and forget about this hassle, but it wasn't to be. I want my kids to know their heritage and stand out by knowing another language. But it's a real pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment