Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shoveling Snow

Well, I know that many of us got hammered with the post-Christmas snow storm. I was at my parents' house and my kids were at their dad's when the storm came. On the morning of the 27th my dad got up and went out to shovel and my mom got up and went out to shovel so I felt like I had to get up and go out and shovel. And I did. The worst part of shoveling is the snow that gets piled on the edge of the driveway each time the plow goes by, but somehow we managed to get the driveway cleaned rather quickly. Mom loves to take photos of the high piles of snow and the overhanging snow on the gutters and the drifts on the cars, so she was shooting away. Now, I came home on the 28th and had to do it all again. My driveway is super steep and goes down towards the house. I've been screwed in the past when I'd leave the car at the bottom of the driveway, and then have to shovel the entire upper part and I'd never be able to get out anyway. I learned my lesson and now I park at the top of the driveway and only need to create a path up and clean out in front of the car. I got the kids in the house, went into the shed and got the shovels and started to do the sidewalk in front of the house and then the path up. I got a massive blister on my left hand!! It took about an hour, but I did it all, mostly myself. The kids tried to help, but really didn't do all that much. My across the street neighbors have a plow do their driveway, and THEIR snow ended up on MY lawn and sidewalk, so there was no way I could clean that part out. I have seen the police drive by, checking for the walks to be cleared- we have something like 18 hours after the end of a storm to clean up- so I was a bit anxious, but no fine so far. The great thing about the downward lawn is that the kids can sled, albeit for a short trip, but they love it. There is a snowblower here, but I'm not sure how to get it started and I'd rather shovel anyway and get some exercise. Come to think of it, I have shoveled many, MANY times these nine years I've been here. Another thing that has to get done.

2 comments:

  1. I totally don't miss shoveling snow. We use to live in a duplex in Edmonton, Alberta and because I got home fairly early, every time it snowed, I would shovel the shared driveway for myself and my neighbour (Canadian spelling).
    Since moving to NZ, I don't even own a shovel.
    You might consider moving to Hawaii or something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, a tropical locale would be divine!! Just not practical at this point in my life. We are expecting more snow tomorrow into Saturday which will screw up more plans around here.
    New Zealand?? That is awesome! Welcome and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete