Friday, January 7, 2011

Snow Storm?

It is around 2:00 pm as I sit here writing this. Connecticut is in a PANIC-activities and schools are being cancelled, early-dismissed, plows at the ready, salt spreaders on call, and there is nary a snowflake here!!! I swear, this happens more often than not! We get informed of snow days and delayed openings on TV. The big 3 networks post the information on a "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. It's kind of fun, waiting for your school district's name to come up. As ours begins with a "W", it seems like it takes forever for the info to show. Today, there was no closing or early dismissal. (Not that my kids were even here- they are with Dad celebrating "Christmas.") Yes! Good call, Mr. Superintendent!! Then, at around 10:00, both my cell and home phones ring with a recorded message that schools are being let out early. Now, I would really hate to be the one who has to make these types of calls. When I led a summer camp for 4-6 year olds, we had the worst weather in ages and I was constantly having to decide- inside, outside, cancel, postpone, switch, Plan B, Plan C, gah- I hated it. So I don't envy the Super. However, it seems that we have become so scared of some precipitation!! This is New England, for Pete's sake! And as it is a public school system, I'd say that everyone lives within 2-3 miles of their particular school, so what is the big deal? OK- kids are on busses, and parents work, I get it, but this just seems to be overkill. Now, since the schools are early dismissed, the YMCA has cancelled their activities which means my daughter has no swim practice. It may still snow, but it's just disappointing. And she has a meet tomorrow! Hopefully this won't hurt her. My son has hockey tomorrow morning, and I don't know the procedure for that cancellation as of yet. Plus, we also have Ukrainian School! So that is 3 activities with a lot of choreography between me and Mr. Dad. I'll be up at 5:00 am to start figuring everything out. Think of me as you non-Ukes are sleeping in!

I see some new followers!! Thank you so much for reading here- it really means a lot to me.

2:17 pm- it's just starting to snow, a teeny tiny bit. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment